In a very disputed race, Brazilian started in 16th and won first points in 9th
Lucas Di Grassi had a tough battle during the opening round of the Formula E World Championship, held this Friday in Saudi Arabia. After a difficult qualifying session, in which the 2017 champion entered the track in the first group and took the track with low grip, Lucas started from 16th place and finished in ninth, obtaining the first points in his 2021 campaign. The victory was conquered by Dutchman Nyck De Vries, of the Mercedes team, who also started from pole position.
“I already expected difficulties in the qualifying session, as being in the first group means taking the track in worse conditions than the rest of the grid. And it always ends up making a lot of difference ”, stressed Di Grassi. “The race was extremely hard-fought. The cars were moving very evenly, with a very similar pace, and if you look closely you will notice that overtaking was always done with some degree of risk because, either it was like that, or you didn’t pass at all. So I was happy to finish in the scoring zone. But of course I expected more, especially after yesterday’s good practice. Tomorrow I will be in the second group of the qualifying, and that should improve things a little, we will have a chance to start further ahead”, he completed.
Check out the result of the first round in Saudi Arabia:
1) Nyck De Vries (Netherlands, Mercedes), 46min44s765
2) Edoardo Mortara (Switzerland, Rokit Venturi Racing)
3) Mitch Evans (New Zealand, Jaguar)
4) René Rast (Germany, Audi Sport)
5) Pascal Wehrlein (Germany, Porsche)
6) Oliver Rowland (England, Nissan)
7) Alexander Sims (England, Mahindra Racing)
8) Stoffel Vandoorne (Belgium, Mercedes)
9) Lucas Di Grassi (Brazil, Audi Sport)
10) Oliver Turvey (England, NIO FE Team)