SOCIAL MEDIA       
Audi E-tron FE05 #11 (Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler), Lucas Di Grassi

Accident takes Lucas out of Monaco race

Di Grassi was fighting for important points in the campaign for the second title

 

A crash caused by Englishman Alexander Sims (BMW Andretti) momentarily took away from Lucas Di Grassi the opportunity to fight for the Formula E championship title on Saturday (11) on the streets of Monaco. Sims pushed the Brazilian againt the wall on the 31st of 51 laps of the race, when the Audi Sport Abt Schaeffler driver was in eighth place. With the crash, Di Grassi is now fifth in the standings, 17 points behind first-placed Jean-Eric Vergne of the Techeetah team. Di Grassi will resume the campaign for the title on May 25 in Berlin.

“The race had been very good until Sims pushed me to the wall. I think I’d be sixth or seventh. It was a total disloyal thing. I could not do anything, we were side by side, and he threw me on the wall, damaging both rims, “said the Brazilian, who was third in the standing before the in Monaco race.

“We did a good job in practice, but in qualifying it was not ok, so the strategy for the race was to fight for points,” said Lucas, who started 13th in the grid. “This was the first race I did not score any points this year. It is precisely the opposite of our goal – we always aim to score points in this very competitive championship. We lost some ground on the new championship leader, but the game is still quite open. Now, let’s focus on the Berlin race, two weeks from now. There, we will have a new shot”, concludes the Brazilian.

The race winner was Frenchman Jean-Eric Vergne, who now leads the standings with 87 points. Drivers Oliver Rowland (England, Nissan and dams), Felipe Massa (Brazil, Venturi), Pascal Wehrlein (Germany, Mahindra) and Sebastien Buemi (Switzerland, Nissan e.dams) completed the first five.